Monday, August 13, 2012

Getting "Web-ucated"

Already proving that my title is a lie...
 I have my B.F.A. Senior Exhibition coming up in December of 2012 and who knows..maybe my graduating from college is the reason for the end of the world drama. Armageddon or not, I plan on making my Exhibition Show one to remember for many years to come. While spending large amounts of time in the studio is honestly a gift in my opinion, the mathematical side of my brain has been breaking down the "hard numbers" for some time now. The biggest project for this show will be my plate wall; I plan on making 250 wood fired plates to cover an entire wall in the gallery. For those of you that know my ability to procrastinate, yes I do honestly to make at least 250 finished plates by late November. Given that I officially started this "plate project" on August 1st, I have to throw two of these plates EVERY SINGLE DAY until the final wet-work day before my show. And now everyone knows the deeply guarded secret as to where the title inspiration came from!

Slippin!

On the surface, two plates a day doesn't seem that bad at all. If Michael Kline can make "Twelve Before Twelve", (a term made famous..in the ceramics community..for his daily production of at least twelve pieces before noon) surely I can make two plates a day. Even though it seems like a simple task when taken at face value, I am trying to remain realistic and prepared for issues like cracking, bad firings, etc. In fact, since making just two plates a day is quite impractical, I am easily coerced into making more than the title advertises. It's still early in the afternoon on Monday and I have already thrown and slipped four plates. I think I'll push for eight to start the week off right. Check back often for plate and not-plate updates as well as to laugh at my ability to butcher even the simplest of "pre-made" blog templates! Back to wedging... but first..as promised.. a totally unrelated picture from my road-trip to Montana.
Good Morning World!

No comments:

Post a Comment